Sunday, December 18, 2011

What’s in a Name?


Voichita
Vee-as-in-Victor-oh-i-see-eich-i-tee-as-in-Tom-ay
Nachescu
En-as-in-Nancy-ay-see-eich-ee-ess-see-as-in-Charlie-you

Strangely enough, they usually get it. By now, scores of overworked helpdesk workers, customer help representatives, operators, and office assistants have had to deal with this. I feel apologetic whenever I have to spell my name: my name is not that usual even in Romania after all. I dream of changing my name to something international and easy to spell, like Eva or Vera. These names are poetic in their own way, and they’re not spelling bee material.

But instead, I’m stuck with this: Vee-as-in-Victor-oh-i…

By the time I’m done, I feel like I’ve told them my whole life story. “See, it all begins in Romania, where in a small town in South West Transylvania my mother was trying to choose a name for her yet unborn baby, her first child, and wanted to match the uniqueness of her experience with the uniqueness of a name.” (I only know of two or three other Voichitas, all of them Romanian, of course.)

Because when I ask you, what’s your name? I ask many things. Ancient Romans believed that nomen est omen, that a name could predict the fate of its bearer. Let’s trust them for a moment, and say that names, all names, have a meaning and a history. But in this world, where within five minutes on the train to Penn Station, I see people whose ancestors lived on all continents, whose traditions encompass the history of the world, what meaning do their names have to me? Mine to them? What omens do we carry, unaware, for ourselves and each other?

Seoun Hyung Kim
Shawnkeisha Stoudamire
Vincenzo Mistretta
Taocho Wei
Sami Hanna
Tierney Malone
Charles Adair
Voichita Nachescu

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your new blog!!!! Yes, I always wanted a simpler, more common name like John Smith or Victor Martinez....until I see them getting stuck in immigration because some other of the millions of John Smiths not only have the same name but same birthdays and have warrants out for their arrests...so I wait hours while they try to confirm that my Victor Martinez is not the mass murderer wanted in California or the Drag Queen arrested for PI, oh wait :). Then I appreciate Barry Ouellette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so familiar! I grew up hearing parents repeatdly say

    m as in mary
    o
    r
    a
    v as in victor
    c as in charlie

    when we made restaurant reservations sometimes they just gave "moore" as the last name since it was "easier." Yet I not only kept the name both times I got married, but gave it to my daughter as her last name, since I'm the "last" one!

    ReplyDelete